Thursday, May 20, 2010

Tale of Two Self-Portraits

Recently, I took two of Gary's paintings to hang in my office at work. Within the first few days, some co-workers came into my office and noticed the new pieces immediately. Two colleagaues really loved the surrealist paintings and asked if Gary had painted them. We chatted about the subject matter and I told them their titles, "St. Francis" and "Electricity." I hadn't seen these paintings in a couple of years and I was reminded how much I have loved these older works.

I came home and told Gary about how much I enjoyed his surrealist work. We started talking about how his work has transitioned since then. St. Francis, a self-protrait, has always been one of my favorite paintings. Recently, Gary painted another "Big Self-Portrait" which has also become a favorite of mine. And we started talking about how Gary's self-portraits have evolved from St. Francis to Big Self-Portrait, same subject matter but two totally different treatments, both equally interesting.

Gary said he had emerged from a period quietness and stillness when he was painting the lovely and serene San Francisco Bay Area landscapes. During this time he really concentrated on his art of painting, and working the light. The result in Big Self-Portrait is stunning. In St Francis, I love the narrative and the beautiful and fanciful imagery. In Big Self-Portrait the artist's portrait is painted in striking colors and simplified shapes. Each color and shape impart in the artist's face shifting emotion and powerful serenity. For me the external interest and beauty of St Francis is now internalized, richly and expressively in the emotions of the artist's face. Once fanciful and light, is now grounded and evocative.

Another recent work, a large print called "Woman with Calla Lilies," is equally as stunning. The subject of the print is enigmatic. Her gaze is steady, strong, and yet, soft. To me she has the same mysterious expression as the Mona Lisa. Tonight I saw Woman installed at the opening night of the new CSP show at the Adobe Art Gallery in Castro Valley. I thought it breathtaking. There was a good crowd at the show and everyone was commenting on how much they liked the show. As we mingled with other CSP members and other gallery visitors, I overheard many attendees comment on how much they liked Woman. She seems to have the same affect on everyone - from the moment that she comes in your sight, she draws you in closer for a longer and deeper look.

I can't wait to see more...

Kavita

No comments: